Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tip #6: Do free things

When I was in Hawaii, I got a text message from Taryn that said "Want to go to a free Jason Mraz concert?" My response: Heck yeah. The Sunday after my trip, Taryn and I woke up early, jumped in Roxie and headed south for San Diego. We spent the morning walking around the coast and checking out the sea. We took a long walk along the rocky coast that lead us to seals, snorkelers, and beautiful homes. We decided that if we lived in California, this may have to be the place we live. It was spectacular. We left the lovely coast for downtown to grab lunch and the Italian Festival. After a tasty sausage that was big enough to split and still be totally bloated, we headed down to Chula Vista for the show. I know just the few Jason Mraz songs from the radio, and to be quite honest, I wasn't expiating much besides a lot of teenage wooers and pop radio songs. The free show, the last show of Jason's Gratitude tour, was hosted and opened by Bush Walla, Jason Mraz's hysterical college roommate. He was captivating and quickly grabbed the crowds attention. When he left the stage, he had already plastered a smile on the audience's face. Before Jason took the stage, a short film preview was shown, based out of the small San Franciscan coffee shop where Jason got his start. I was already impressed that Jason was sticking to his roots despite his pop radio fame. When he took the stage, I found that he was incredibly humble and truly gracious for his fans. Overall, I was impressed with his outlook of health and wellness through happiness and music. He performed a great show packed with humor (an enourmous video of Schwarzenegger dubbed to say "Come on and play 'I'm Yours' already") kudos to the coffee shop and it's owners that supported him (they were all there), and a love for his audience. It was a fantastic show, and wonderfully free.

No comments:

Post a Comment